Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 7--Old Papers!

Johnny is researching the history of our Cub Scouts Pack 175 for their 50th anniversary. He brought home two boxes with that smell. You know the one, that box of old books/paper smell. There are tons of pictures from the 80's and paperwork dating back to the 60's. I love diving into personal old history. My dad used to find newspapers at his office from the 60-70's I still have all of them. I like seeing the prices of items, I love finding real treasures, like letters. When my cousin died, she had saved, what looked liked, every letter she'd ever received. As a letter hoarder, even then at 18, I had a hard time tossing them. I have to be careful now to just save the important letters and sentimental cards. I fear when I day, my kids will hate me for the amount of papers they'll have to go through. :) I'm not the best journal/diary keeper, but I've saved tons of cards and letters since about my 8th birthday. (it started in a New Kids on the Block lunchbox) Maybe I'm a voyeur and I like sneaking a peek at someone else's life. Maybe I just like history. The true find is a letter tucked into an old book. I've only found that twice. I'm thankful for boxes of papers and old books. 

No comments: