Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 17--Volunteers

Our tiny town is in shambles. There are trees down, roads closed, houses are gone, one of the schools are gone, and three people are dead. When the stormed cleared, this town rallied! The officials had to turn away people willing to help. People were willing to risk their own safety to get to their neighbors, through trees and downed lines. A suggestion in Sunday School? "We can just kayak the gas over to him if they won't let us through." Today, volunteers are out in mass! We drove past the school and it was horrifying. I've never gotten chills at a sight before. I had goosebumps up and down my arms and my hand clasped over my mouth and thank you prayers being sent up. Oh, Lord, thank you that it wasn't a school day or a game day! I've not seen such damage since Hurricane Andrew in Florida, and I was just a child then. Facebook has been amazing. There have been at least a half dozen places to drop off items in needs, places to sort said items, people offering their homes, people offering their time, and people collecting. Our town is going to recover and I think we'll be even better for it. It's pretty amazing to watch when "God shows up." So to this town in recovery, I am thankful!

1 comment:

Notsopc said...

Living life in a small town..