Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 3--Birthday Fun

Today is my first born birthday! He is NINE. I cannot believe it. It's all going by so fast! (so cliche, I know) We try not to do parties anymore. I want to make their birthdays more of an individual thing. We started this about 3 years ago. We've done D.C, museums, zoos, and bounce houses. The birthday child pretty much gets to be king for the day. No chores, no school, they get to pick dinner and their choice of birthday cake/cupcakes/ice cream. Today we'll be having lunch at Salsas (thank you for 1.99 kids food!) and then to the Bounce House. We're making cupcakes and Shane wants to take some to the local shelter for abused women. Once he found out there were kids there, he was all about giving them some of his birthday cupcakes. We do have a rule that you have to wait until daddy gets home to have presents. So tonight that will be our fun! I like spending money this way rather than for a party. Some years there might be a sleepover, but nothing big. The kids all look forward to their whole day of birthday fun, rather than have a party.

2 comments:

Shell said...

I think this is a wonderful idea. I am all about making memories with my kids and I think they are more likely to remember being King for a Day (feeling special) than they are to remember what "theme" their party had. WTG MOM!

Steph @ Halfway to Somewhere said...

Happy birthday, Shane!!! I'm a terrible aunt and didn't call, but I remember getting the phone call from Nanu telling us you were here!!!