Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

November Thankfuls Day 6

You see this beautiful women in a borrowed dress and this um....handsome man in a cordory jacket? These are my parents. Almost 30 years ago. (I wanted to save this for their anniversary, but figured it was cliche) So 30 years ago, these two people got married. You know the very most amazing part? They stayed married, happily even. So to my wonderful, supportive, positive, crazy, and loving parents. I am thankful. I never had to deal with divorce. I stayed with my family on weekends, summers and holidays. We may not have always had money, but we never knew it. My parents were parents! They were not our friends until we became adults. The way it should be done. They weren't fancy. Rarely went out without us. They didn't exchange gifts with each other for many years. A chocolate rose for a birthday or anniversary. My mom sported a simple gold band for the first 20 years. My dad pawned his wedding ring to get me a ruby ring for my 13th birthday (which I didn't know for years). They survived deployments, countless moves, financial woes, two crazy teenagers (though I was the good one), way too many illnesses and still by each others sides they stood. I can only hope to aspire to be what they are now. My mom is one of best friends today and I'll forever be a daddy's girl. So if in 20 more years, my boys can say the same about my husband and I, I know I will have succeeded in life.

For making such a show over the grandsons dollar tree gifts!

For supporting us as foster parents and loving them as their own grandchildren.

For realizing that it's easy to come here at Christmas, so there's less stress on me!

For loving my husband as their own!

And most of all, for loving each other!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay----I am at work and you totally made me cry!!!!! This is such a great tribute! So glad to know you Andrea!!! (it wont let me login to my google account)
Cary McCormick Linkswiler