Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

THE Question

I was posting about foster care suitcases in a local trash to treasure site on facebook. It's sparked a lot of foster care question. I got an honest "But I'm so afraid I'd be heartbroken if they had to leave." It was an honest question, not the annoying "I couldn't do it, it would break my heart" I despise that one. Anyway, that's another blog. My answer to this women considering foster care was this:

We get asked that A LOT! Here's the thing. You do get attached. If you're doing it right. Loving them like they NEED to be loved. You will get your heart broken. You will cry endless tears. You will have unanswered prayers. You most likely will have to say goodbye. Hopefully the system works right and it truly is in the best interest. Two of my kids have gone home. One to grandparents and one to a Great Aunt and Uncle. They are thriving where they are. We get pictures and get to see them. Our current two are 15 months and 24 months. There is no one left to take the 24 month old, she's special needs and her teenage parents decide they want her back, so it's a whole long process. I don't know how it will end. But I can only pray it's what's best for her. Our 15 month old has been with us since 35 days old. He was placed with grandparents for two weeks and that fell apart and he's back with us. We're meeting with his bio dad and praying he wants and open adoption, but if he doesn't then, I'll have to support him because that's what's best for my boy. Thankfully I've never had to give my kids back to the parents who hurt them, other family members have stepped forward. If Ladybug leaves to her parents it will be a first for us. It's hard work, it's so rewarding. But yes, you will get your heart broke, but I trust God to knit it back together to say yes to the next child that needs us. He hasn't failed yet. :)

1 comment:

Heather P. said...

You and your family really amaze and inspire me. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.