She offended me. That offends me. They offended me. You can't say that, it might offend someone. That's too offensive. Don't do that, it would offend them.
Yes, I'm guilty of it too. We all are (mostly). Certain situations call for certain behavior and actions. However, the sensitivity of our world is getting too much for me. You can't say or do or read or watch anything, it might offend someone. It's all so petty. The apologies made for these offensives are false, lies if you will.
So what's my point. If you're going to be offended, let's be offended by something real. Let's do something about it. Let's be offended by the fact that there are 500,000 children in foster care because parents are doing horrid things to their children. Let's be offended by the 143,000 waiting child in the UNITED STATES. Children that could be in someones home this afternoon. Let's be offended by the 143,000,000 orphans in the world. Waiting for a home. Let's be offended that in Eastern Europe if a child with Down Syndrome isn't adopted by age 4-5, they are sent to institution that rival the death camps of the Holocaust, most don't survive a year! Let's be offended that women in the UNITED STATES can't choice their own method of birth because home birth midwives are breaking the law. Let's be offended that women are being screamed at for nursing their babies on an airplane. Let's be offended that drugs have invaded every corner of our country. Let's be offended the young girls and women are being trafficked into the USA and being sold as slaves. Let's be offended that a mother can be yelled at by a doctor for choosing not to vaccinate. Let's be offended that saying God might get you in trouble. Let's be offended that drunk drivers get second chances after killing someone. Let's be offended that rapists and child abusers get less time in jail than someone who wrote bad checks. Let's be offended that the government is trying to take away the rights of parents everywhere.
Oh, there's lots to be offended by. If you're going to waste your energy on what someone said or did that offended you, turn it around. Let's get offended, offended at what matters! Find something real, that offends you. Let's do something. Write someone. Call someone. DO SOMETHING!
11 comments:
I LOVE THIS!!!!!
Haha, Andrea, did you really post this? You get offended all the time! :D
I applaud your passion for foster care and defending the defenseless, but what about other issues that are just as "offensive"? I won't go into detail, and risk offending someone, but these are issues that offend YOU. Are you suggesting that the issues offending others are not as valid? Why not?
I know we've had several discussions and disagreements, and we've generally been able to share ideas and not cause permanent damage, but finding ourselves being offended can often encompass things like our social class, our style of parenting, our parents' style of parenting, our level of education, and even our sense of humor. All very personal and sensitive things, I hope you'll agree.
It seems unfair to cast everyone else's issues aside and say, "Act like me." Just my $.02.
I liked it and I understand what you meant..
I'm not easily offended, I'm easily annoyed. When people question homeschooling or foster care or the same "you're hands are full" comments Not offensive, annoying. I've been on facebook pages where people are horribly attacked because their opinion differs, they are offended by someone elses opinion. I did say find something real that offends you and do something about it. No petty offenses. I'm not casting anyone issues aside there's a ton more that can be added to the list, but getting offended because there was a bible verse posted or because someone wants another baby, that annoys the crap of me, it's so petty. And I'm certainly not saying "act like me" People can and do act any way they want, but if more people stood up for what really matters instead of whining that this person said this offensive thing....
Haha! I will allow you the nuance of semantics, if you believe that being "annoyed" and being "offended" are THAT different! ;)
And I'll use your own example, so that we're on the same page. You have chosen to define certain offenses as "petty". That's your opinion, right? I mean, I don't think you're claiming that you are the final authority on what is and is not a serious issue. So, to you, it is petty to take offense at a Bible verse posted. Okay, let's look at it.
To someone else, that verse may represent a deep-seated issue of false-morality in America . . . a Christmas/Easter Christianity that gives us all a false sense of superiority and goodness. Or maybe it reminds them of someone in their past who abused Scripture for personal gain, and did permanent damage to them or to their loved ones. Maybe they just have some hang-up that won't allow them to see anything but material, scientific things as truth, and everything else to them is some kind of deceptive manipulation. Well, these would be their opinions. You have yours. But to tell them to stop reacting negatively (some might say, "getting annoyed") is in fact telling them to act like you.
"I see no reason to be offended, therefore you should see no reason to be offended. Everyone good?"
Because you don't think it warrants such a reaction, they should feel the same way. It certainly seems like you are trying to take from them the same freedom of expression that you often argue for.
Maybe "something real that offends you" is in the eye of the beholder. What do you think?
I think I need a refill of my Paxil before I continue to discuss this. Also, I find a big difference in annoy and offend. Annoyances, I can walk away from, offensives bother my core.
Okay, let's break it down unless you have some "deep-seated issue of false-morality in America" stop whining and do something. Yes, some issues mean more to people than others, but seriously. Most of what you see online and in person and in the government and even things celebrities say and then must apology for...is petty.
Haha. So long as you haven't missed the point, then.
Seems like Jermaine took offense to your blog post here, Andrea... lol
;-)
Ha Brandy. Jermaine's wife's name is Brandy. I was really confused for a moment :)
Haha, no, Brandy. Andy and I go way back. I know better than to take her too seriously. I just enjoy a lively exchange of ideas. She pays me to comment, actually.
Post a Comment