We've been catching up on some of the units that we didn't finish last year. We are edging our way out of Colonial American and into the Revolution. We made barrels like apprentices and tradesmen. We're working on crowns of the Kings and Queens of the time. We're also learning Roman Numerals. (and I do mean we, I don't know them all) We are diagramming sentences until we want to cry of boredom. I did have to point out to my boys that sometimes things are boring and you just have to do them anyway. I don't want to make everything a fireworks show. Sometimes, for certain things, life is boring. That said. *insert whiny voice* Diagramming sentences is booorrrriiinnnngggg. We're reviewing math facts as we move into division and fractions and learning subtraction. For art we've been learning how to draw plants and trees step by step. They impressed me. I have no artistic talent, so the fact that the plant resembles a plant is a gold star in my book.
| Math of the floor. |
| Reading time in bed! |
| Doesn't look comfy to me, but that's where he reads. |
Sam is blowing me away. I had his whole week planned and he finished on Wednesday. I'm going to have to order him a true curriculum, I think. He's going to go through the standard Kindergarten workbooks quickly. He knows much more than I thought he did. I guess his little sponge brain was soaking up stuff last year!
| He's proud of his neat desk! |
Also, I have to brag on myself. I have a really bad habit of not doing school for the day if my morning has interruptions. Our afternoons are just busier and Johnny gets home earlier in the summer, and I just don't want to do school later in the day. Yesterday, we have court, doctors appointments, drop off appointments, Cub Scouts, and a dinner out (for me). I still managed to get our whole day done! (I did push art back until Friday). I realize it's only the first week, but I was proud of myself for sticking to the schedule I made!
I think that's it from us for the week. We're using a block system, so next week we'll be focusing on Science instead of History. The boys are excited!
4 comments:
"I still managed to get our whole day done! (I did push art back until Friday)."
You cut the art program!? Et tu, Andrea?
Art is an elective, I can cut if I want. ;P
Diagramming sentences is borrrrrrring!
Agreed.
It sounds like Sam is off to a fantastic start. Way to go, Sam!!
YEAH for it all.. and good for Sam...
Post a Comment