Backwoods Mom just posted a beautifully powerful blog on "three small things" She lives in Alaska and they were told they might have to leave because of wildfires. She told her kids to grab some clothes and three things. What her children grabbed was a pretty powerful testimony of what's really important in life. I've thought about the things I would grab. This is, of course, assuming that my kids, husband, and pets were safe. So here are my three things:
1. As many photo albums as I could grab. I wouldn't take my computer, most of my pictures are out in cyber space and I could recover them. However, pre-digital camera, I printed pictures. I would grab at least one for each kid.
 |
| Ralph and Night Night Bear. |
2. Ralph, my mom's puppet/muppet. He's been around since my mom was 13 and I've had him since I was about 10 and he lives in my babies room.
3. My journals and my highlighted Bibles. I don't have that many, so I could grab the important ones. If I had any hands left, I'd grab a few of my favorite books.
So, what you take? What means the most to you?
10 comments:
When we had the fire in 2002 there wasn't time to grab anything really. With the smoke damage and the water damage we lost pretty much everything. It was a real eye opener for me. The truth is there were 5 things I was sad to lose. In an entire house. 5. Now here is the real kicker almost ten years later. I know there were 5. I kept telling people there were 5. I can't remember but 3 of them so I guess really it was 3. The kids baby pictures and a photo of my great grandmother holding me when I was a baby and the kids wooden high chair.
Things don't matter. At all.
I meant to say that in her situation and I could grab a few things I would grab the scrapbooks I have done since the fire.
The family photo we had done a few years ago.
The cross stich hanging in the hall that Dan's grandmother made.
The photos I have of my grandmother and her sisters that no one else has copies of (need to take care of that ASAP)
I heard Rowlff yelling all the way over here.. My name is Rowlff...Say it and spell it ROWLFF.. but I am sure glad you would save me.. Cuz I am so loved.. and I am back again with a baby!!!!!!
Three things I would save: The family Bible, Danny's gun, and the photo album. I know of too many who have been in situations where they never got the opportunity to even grab three little things. Makes you realize what's really important in life, for sure. <3
If Rowlff is talking on his own, he's coming back to live with you, mom.
Also Brandy, I read your comment in my email format first and thought you were my best friend Brandy. I was highly confused at 2:30am as to when she got a gun that she would save. It made sense in a few seconds but it was a confusing two seconds. LOL.
What do you mean if Rowlff is talking all on his own.. He always has talked on his own...
Also, I thought of the three things:
1.My picture my mom did of the vase
2 The picture you put together for Dad's 50th birthday
3 The painting of Mae that my mom had done for her..
Shane has all the #3 cars so I wouldn't have to grab them..
You have Grandpop's chest so I don't have to get that.
Dad can grab my laptop..
Huh. I don't know if I have three such things. Sure, I could say my Bible, but I don't even know where it is, to be honest. I use apps for that, most of the time, anyway. My phone is highly replaceable. Rocky is great, but really, in a life-and-death situation, would I be trying to carrying his heavy self outside, cords and all? No. All of our photos are pretty much online. Laptop, maybe, because it's lighter, but if it burns up, life goes on.
The PlayStation? Meh, maybe. No particular book more than any other. When I really think of life after a huge fire, in a new place, I honestly don't think I'd really "need" anything. Brandy, Sadie, Sebastian, and Brooklyn. All the stuff I use/love most is either replaceable (in time) or irreplaceable (and living).
So, my three things would be: the car keys (gotta go somewhere for the night), Peyton (the laptop), and my phone (to make sure everyone I know is alright). But really, Dwayne and I have talked about this before. Having all of our stuff taken suddenly would be traumatic in the immediate sense, but ultimately, I think we'd realize how little we need things.
This is such a good question. I think I'd grab Taylor (my laptop), last year's journal (my favorite one to look back on), and my notebook (where I do all my brainstorming for brandyglows). If Sadie didn't grab the elephant I bought her before she was born, I'd try to grab that, too. I'm assuming here that I've already got my purse with my phone inside.
In other words, if Brandy HAD to grab three things, she'd grab five.
Since all of my things are still in the trailer in the yard (from the temporary move) and I haven't needed any of it besides some random office supplies and a few books, I've kind of realized how little I actually need to get through every day. Plus, the fact that we just took a ten day trip with everything we needed (food, shelter, water, entertainment) in the back of the truck makes this question hard! I'm mentally unpacking the trailer to remember what I even have!
I think I would take the gun Uncle Dan gave me for graduation because I love it, it has an engraving for me, and in my mind, I'm leaving because of some kind of zombie apocalypse (the result of being friends with people who have zombie escape plans), the bear that R gave me when he moved back home, and ....hmm....the rings from my Nana that were her's and my great-grandmother's, and the button box that was grandmouti's (can those be one thing? I'll put the rings in the button box). I think that's about it!
Post a Comment