Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Suitcase of Love.

I've been thinking about what to invest myself in next year. Here's a shocker, it has to do with Foster Care. I've been doing a bit a research and reading lots of foster care blogs. There is a terribly sad fact. When children leave their birth home or leave their foster home to another home, they take their belongings with them. Whatever they may own, in most cases it's put into brown paper sacks or garbage bags. So my new mission for the year? I want to stock each child in Gloucester's foster care system with a suitcase. Then I'd like to move on to the surrounding areas Mathews, Middlesex, Yorktown/Poquson. It's going to be at least 100 suitcases. I'm going to start small. Yard sales and thrift stores. I'm hoping to have fundraiser and raffles. Every child should feel they are of worth. It's hard to feel of worth when your possessions are shoved into a garbage bag. So there's my mission. I can't wait to get started!

7 comments:

Notsopc said...

Now that's a right good mission..

cscouten said...

Simply perfect!

cscouten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

That is so true that most foster children do not have a suitcase and move their belongings in a trash bag. I HATED to move a kid with only a their stuff in a trash bag! There is a foundation that does the same thing you are planning on doing! It is the little things that can make a HUGE difference.

Holly Aytes said...

Andrea, I think that is a wonderful mission! I can't imagine not having anything but a sack. You are doing a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

How can we donate?

Andrea said...

If you are local I can pick up or meet somewhere. :)