Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Friday, October 21, 2011

Times, they are a'changing.

Well this is the last two weeks of M being solely my son. Visitations start in November and it's the beginning of the goodbyes, one at a time. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to drop him into the arms of someone else and just walk away. Sure, I've done it two times before, but this is so very different. For 5 months we were sure we were adopting him and the clear out of left field, we're not.

Awhile ago someone beautiful gave me a wonderful compliment. She said that I foster care unselfishly. I truly want what's best for my babies. I knew without a doubt Little Miss would thrive in a home as a single child. And boy is she! Baby J is doing wonderfully. He honestly should have never been in our home. His grandparents called a mere two hours after he was placed in care and then had to wait 8 months to get their grandchild back. I love my babies! I miss my babies, but they are where they are supposed to be. All that to say: I want to be selfish. I want to hide him in my arms. I want him to stay with us. That was MY plan and I want to stamp my foot and whine until I get my way. I know there is a plan here. I cannot see it yet. I read a great book that was talking about Bible "characters" and how we as readers know the end of their story. But they weren't just characters. They were real people living real lives. They were in the midst of messes like none I've ever seen. They didn't know that their trials would be read and understood and be an encouragement to millions over two thousand years later. They didn't know how their story would end. They just trusted. I have to trust.

I have to trust that there is a greater plan here. I have to have faith that in the midst of my heart breaking there will be peace. I have to believe that there is a reason for all of this, goodbye. So in the middle of this mess, I will trust!

9 comments:

Rachael W. said...

How absolutely heartbreaking. Just keep praying for God's will, we dont even know what that is yet. He knows the desires of your heart and the ending just might surprise you. But above all I will pray for your family, and baby M's safety. love u!!

Jermaine Walker said...

Sigh. Yeah.

Brandy said...

I love you. And I don't know if this is weird to say but I this this is the most beautiful post you've ever written.

Heather said...

Oh, Andrea, I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what that must feel like. I'm sure you, like me, have those fierce mommy instincts to hold tight and not let go. But you're right, God has a plan even though you may not know it all right now. It's like that Steven Curtis Chapman song..."God is God and I am man, I may never understand it all, for only God is God." But even if baby M leaves you, you have had such a lasting impact on his little life. God has blessed him through you. I think you're amazing, personally.

Holly Aytes said...

Oh Andrea, my heart is breaking for you. I could "feel" in your posts how much love you have for this little boy. I will be praying for you (and your family whom I am sure is attached to M as well) during this difficult time.

Notsopc said...

I loved the other two too but you are right M is different. Who knows..But I get to see him at Thanksgiving and I will squeeze him and love him.. I love you..

Shell said...

There is absolutely nothing to say. **HUGS**

Anonymous said...

Van told me to read this post-kinda wished I hadn't since my day could always end the same. I know you KNOW that your FAITH will carry you through the toughest days.....I just now had to stop and go to Christian's(my foster baby we hope to adopt)bed and pick him up and hug him. None of us are promised tomorrow with any of our loved ones. Life is precious and you have been given a great gift and with it comes a great cost. We will be praying for your family and for baby M. God knows his beginning all the way to his end. Baby M is never out of HIS reach.

April Loomis said...

Sorry that last comment was from me- April Loomis. Somehow I forgot to add my name!