Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ASL

So, I've been doing some thinking. I really want to expand my brain. I teach my kids nearly every day. I teach 4th, 2nd, and K. My brain is not being challenged all that much. I thought about taking a class. I love to learn. To take a single class at our local community college is over $350.00 plus books! So I've been looking into something else. I speak a bit of Spanish, but not well enough to communicate with anyone over the age of 5. Then it came to me. I want to learn to sign. I don't know any deaf people, but I think it would be a challenge to learn how to communicate. It's a language and it's learning something new. I'm going to be looking into ways to learn, books, online classes, and local classes. I'm really excited!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds fun! My mom did the exact same thing when she was homeschooling all of us kids. I think she found a class through our Parks and Rec, so it wasn't expensive. She just kept taking them up through the levels and got really good. She ended up teaching group ASL classes for homeschoolers. I hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy it!

Notsopc said...

I have the book from the class I took. They gave it to us after we took the class. And I have some really good web sites they gave us.. I like it when I want to tell Cecil something I will look up the word and see the sign and then talk to him.. they have such a big deaf community here. they meet once a month and encourage people who are learning to come speak with them..

April Loomis said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to learn to sign. Looked into it a time or two but never really tried more than that. Keep us informed. Maybe I can learn to and we can chat to practice :-) My neighbor is deaf-but can't sign??

A Carroll said...

I still know some of it, we learned in 1st grade for no apparent reason, i guess my teacher just felt we should know it. I can still remember how to say "hi, my name is amanda." and I believe I might be able to remember all the letters. Kelsie's pre-K teacher is teaching them some, i will ask her =)

Steph @ Halfway to Somewhere said...

That's such an awesome goal!!! I know the alphabet, but I have no idea where or when I learned it lol. Good luck :)