We're walking through The American History Museum. They've moved the modern history items into a bigger wing. I see Kermit the Frog in his glass cube.
There was a young man kneeling in front of him. Whatever, DC is weird. A few minutes later Bre wanted to see Kermit. The young man was still there. My mom told Bre not to stand in front of people reading the signs. The young man said "That's okay, I've been here for an hour." Hmmm.
I walked around looking at the other items. I kept glancing back towards this young man. Even kneeling I could tell he was very tall and thin. He had a fake dyed Mohawk and gauged earrings. Not the typical person you would see staring at Kermit the Frog. Finally I sucked up my shyness and walked over to him. I knelt down next to him. He was so tall I only came up to his shoulder. I had to ask.
I said "My best friend loves stories. If she knew I saw a young guy staring at Kermit and didn't ask his story, she would smack me. So, do you have a story with Kermit?"
He said "Yes, he's my hero." I said "Kermit is your hero?" He said "Yes, he taught me how to live and made me who I am, he's my hero."
I thanked him and walked away. A few minutes later his group of rag-tag friends collected him and off they walked. I had to think about this young guy. Kermit was his hero. Kermit who accepted himself as he was. It wasn't always easy to be himself, be he was, he was a green frog and made the best of what he had. So this guy, who outside of this situation, I would have never spoke to really gave me something to dwell on. Do I make the best of what I am? Of what I have been given in life? Do you? I sure hope so.
1 comment:
and I think if he could have he would have opened up that box and hugged him... But Kermie didn't talk to him...
Post a Comment