I wanted to say a word about Birth Mothers. Did you know the Saturday before Mothers Day is Birth Mothers Day? It was create by a group of women in 1990 that wanted to honor their choice to hand their child over to another.
I know one birth mother, she is strong and amazing and beautiful. She did what was best for her child. I can't say enough kind things about her.
I know my best friend. She was adopted. Her birth mother gave her to another. She is poetic, a wordsmith, and determined to change the world. I couldn't imagine my life without her!
Then there's my life. I have children that I didn't give birth too. Both Mothers Day and Birth Mothers day are odd around here. I love my two little blonde babies. They didn't grow within my body. They are my children. M's mother is nothing short of a monster. Ladybug's mother walked away. Just packed her bags and walked away. They didn't do what was best for the children. They didn't think and make the hard choice.
However, they are their birth mothers. They did give birth to them. They did grow them. They did make the choice for life for them. Without them, I wouldn't have my little loves. I wouldn't be rejoicing over future adoptions. I wouldn't be covered in 24M clothes and size 4 diapers. I wouldn't have appointments coming out of my ears. I wouldn't have therapists appearing at my house. I wouldn't have giggles and hugs and drooly kisses. I wouldn't know them.
So what do I do? I can't send them cards. I can't speak to them. I can't even thank them. I want to though, but how do I say, "wow, you treated them terribly and abandoned them, thanks." Without them I wouldn't have my babies. So in some weird twisted way, I say thank you. Thank you for at the very least, choosing life for them. They are loved and cherished.
No comments:
Post a Comment