Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Enjoying your kids through the Cabin Fever.

*disclaimer, this not aimed at anyone in particular, it's based of the complaints of facebook as of late.*

The weather has been insane! The schools have been closed or delayed for weeks, I think they only went to school two days last week and the week before. Now, I'm going a little stir crazy!
I have my kids all day long every day, the way I feel I'm supposed to do. I feel I'm supposed to have these little people here with me and that I'm supposed to be teaching them at home. Our lives work really well this way. Yes, it takes a lot, yes I give up a lot, but I think we're getting more in return. Yes, there are days I want to throw in the towel, I want to put them on a bus and leave it to someone else. But I take a deep breath, and go on with my day. (maybe having to issue an apology along the way)I'm happy that I can be (for the most part) happy to have them home. I'm happy that I don't feel the need to complain over and over again that my kids are home for a few extra days because of snow. As we get closer to having to hand "little man" over to his grandparents, I'm trying to take the time with all my children and enjoy them more. (even if I'm with a little less hair than normal)

Each day is new and we get a fresh start (even if our kids our quoting our words from yesterday). We all need a break, we all need a night out, a fresh start. But when you can't seem to enjoy you're kids on a Monday, because they're supposed to be in school, that's a sad day. When I asked the kids what they enjoyed the most about the snow, they replied, football, bingo, and daddy was home. So through all my babbling this morning, I guess the main point, is through the screaming, the fighting, and the endless episodes of Dinosaur Train and Calliou, they are growing and I don't want to miss it.

3 comments:

Amanda L said...

Didn't know where to comment since I did not see an email address. I saw that you had commented on the "Cullen House" blog that you were going in Sept 2010. I will be staying there the 9th through teh 14th or something like that (don't know exactly how many days yet). Might run into your nieghbor (I live in WV) across the US! If you want to write, email me at jojo26238@hotmail.com.

cscouten said...

What you say is true! I know because I am your friend that it is not as easy as it seems, but you do it so well and I am proud of you. I fight it for fear of losing myself somewhere along the way. You just let it all flow. Thanks for trusting me to share in your lives. I truly love "babysitting" them when you need me to. Love you and Happy Valentines Day!

Jermaine Walker said...

Was this the "rant" blog? It was surprisingly tame, if so! I feel like I have a lot of thoughts, but no good way to express them. I know that's weird.

Generally, tho, I think parents feel a lot of guilt about how they raise their kids. They think they're too lenient, or too strict, or too overbearing, or too distant. It's always something. And we can certainly learn and improve. But I read a quote that I am coming to believe more and more as Sadie gets older.

"90% of being a good parent is just showing up." [Paraphrased]

I think kids are forgiving, and the most important thing you can express to them is that you're not going anywhere. Consistency is the thing.

Yes, some parents complain about having their kids around too much. They're human, it happens. Should we enjoy our kids more? Yeah, we should, and we'll probably regret the times we don't. But we make mistakes, and they make mistakes, and we apologize (sometimes) and we do our best.

They get annoyed, we get annoyed, but we all would still be lost without each other. I dunno, it's the mystery of family. It's such a deep unspoken thing that I think our surface interactions are almost irrelevant (though it's much more pleasant when it's fun!).

So, yeah. Enjoy your kids, I say. Be annoyed by your kids. Be yourself, and be flawed. Let them do the same. At the end of the day, it's family, and none of us really knows what we're doing, or how much it means to us beneath the surface.