Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I want to help, but.......

Have you ever wanted to help foster youth? There are A LOT of reasons why taking a child into your home isn't for everyone. However, you still want help, but how. I stumbled upon this site: The Camellia Network. This grassroots site help foster youth aging out of the system.

The statistics of youth that leave foster care without a family are staggering. Twenty-five percent will be in jail within two years. Twenty-five percent will be homeless within two years. Sixty percent will have a child within four years, and those babies are twice as likely to end up in foster care. Only three percent of these children will graduate college.

So, what can you do? It's easy peasy. Sign up to join the Camellia Network. Look through pictures of youth that are aging our or have aged out. They have wish lists of items they need. I remember when I left home. I went to work and when I got home the kitchen table was piled with gifts. Grown up gifts. A microwave, a hair dryer, utensils, and a turkey baster. Image leaving home with nothing more than a paper sack of clothes. You can purchase an item for a youth and it ships to them.

What about work? That's another aspect of The Camellia Network. You can list job openings, internships, etc. They hook them up with opportunities.

You can even send email notes of encouragement. Remember waiting on letters from your parents or phone call or emails. Imagine that they never came. Nothing. No hope, no 'you can do it', not even a "I miss you." A simple email can mean the difference between loneliness and a feeling that someone cares.

We can help these young men and women become productive members of society. They can go to school or work without worrying about household items.

Also, another way to help easily is simple. Contact your local Department of Social Services. Help a youth right in your area.

I urge you all to click the link and peek around. Make a call, send a letter, give a gift. You don't need to adopt to change a life.

1 comment:

Notsopc said...

Sounds good and this sounds right for me to help out with.. I'll look at it at home.. I'll let you know.. maybe I'll blog about it..