Our journey as a homeschooling, foster care, adoptive family!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pumpkins In August???


So when we planted the garden, we used soil from the compost. We planted two rows of tomatoes, two rows of peppers, beans, and peas. The beans and peas died like usual. My hubby has a vengeance with the beans and peas and corn. He plants them every year and every year they die! Well anyway, the tomatoes were mutants, over 10 feet tall. Yum! Next to the row of shiny red vegetables we noticed a vine growing. It was growing away from our produce so we let it go. We tried to figure it out. Squash, watermelon, cucumber, pumpkins???? All of these things were in the compost. It grew over 20 feet long, leaving the garden through a hole in the fence and growing on the wood pile. Lots and lots of yellow flowers bloomed, but then they would fall off. Finally something sprouted, a little green ball, but before we could figure it out what it was, it died. At last, another one sprouted. It lived and grew into a green baseball. So now we were between pumpkin or watermelon. Low and behold it was a pumpkin. The boys picked it last night, so in the middle of the summer, in the dog days of August, we will be having pumpkin seeds tonight!!!

3 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I would love a garden but I can't grow anything. I was in charge of watering all the plants/flowers that my mom planted at the new house while they were gone to my grandparents house for a week....I forgot the flowers on the porch and the ones under the tree! My garden would be doomed from the beginning! LOL Hope y'all enjoy the pumpkin seeds!

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

HI Andrea thanks so much for the comment. yes around here a kid is a kid and we are outside having fun most of the time, definetly not a girly girl for the most part, other then the Hello kItty love she has.
Wow it must be warm where you live, everything in our garden is big but other then the pea's, spinach and romain nothing else is quite ready, oh the potatoes and onions are.
My favorite is the fruit but my raspberries strawberries and blueberries are aobut done since this was their first year.
thanks for your comment, I enjoyed catching up on some of your posts. YOu are amazing, I though I could maybe do foster care but after working at a pediatricians office for 6 years I realized it wasnt' goign to happen, I can't go to a dog pound without having nightmares and crying, what they do to kids is awful.

Jermaine Walker said...

FYI: Lo and behold. And now back to your regularly scheduled program.