A few days ago we had quite a homeschool adventure. I was inside and the boys went to swing on our huge tree. I heard screaming. I realized quickly it wasn't the normal screaming. I heard "SAM, GET AWAY FROM IT" and then I heard "It's a baby bear" I freaked out. Where there are baby bears, there are mama bears. I went flying outside and they are all staring at the tree. Then I realized relief for a moment when I saw what they were looking at. A big black snake. My momentary relief turned back to terror when I realized it was a huge five to six foot long snake. Climbing up their tree! After my heart steadied from the morning horror show, my brain decided it was just a black rat snake. Not poisonous. But I do know that they bite. So we stood back and watched it. In all it's snakey grossness.
 |
| There's something so icky about something with no arms or legs climbing up a tree. |
 |
| Taking a tour of the tree house. |
 |
| He then disappeared into the branches. |
So, of course I'm freaking out every time I have to go beneath the tree, knowing there could be huge snakes above my head. I'm certain they are going to fall on me. And I'm mad because I know they are messing with my birds.
After our adventure we came inside to learn more about the snake and review our pictures. We learned they their favorite tree is a Red Maple, so that's why he was in our tree. They eat moles and voles, which is good for my yard, but those guys don't live in trees. The worst part, the absolute worst thing, they don't make their own nesting grounds, they with Copperheads. They just slither in and share the space. WITH COPPERHEADS!
Thankfully we've never seen one and this guy must of been young. My kids are all over that tree and no animal is stupid enough to hang around for long. I hope.
1 comment:
Still don't like them..
Post a Comment