The next time a storm may be anywhere close to me, I have learned:
*We are not on the hospital grid as I previously thought. Day 6 with no power proves that.
*Start stockpiling paper plates, plastic utensils and cups, napkins.
*Can goods do not make a meal, buy more peanut butter and jelly.
*More bottled water.
*Invest in a few more fans, if it had been any hotter this week, we would have been in serious trouble.
*Have no hopes of the power being restored. It's easier that way when they change the date on you.
*The library has wi-fi!
*School can be done in a power outage, but you're too tired to do it.
*Rent lots of movies and thank God for a generator!
*Your laundry pile will start to smell really bad around day 5.
*You will be doing laundry for days when the power decides to return.
*The generator is your friend, treat it kindly.
Things I've learned from Day 6 of no power:
*I don't need to look at facebook every 10 minutes.
*The blog world will be there when I return.
*I really don't watch much tv, I guess I keep it on in the background. I haven't missed anything.
*I have been ignoring my husband in the evening, that is changing TODAY.
*I really have missed reading.
*I love the friends I've met online, but I really don't need to check on their every move during the day.
*My boys are pretty resourceful when given the chance.
*I can restart a whole house on a generator and pour the gas and flip the breakers and start the gas grill, I just prefer not to.
*I sleep much better when I'm reading and not online.
*The bed should be for my husband and I, not the computer or the TV.
*I have plenty of time to actually have the quiet time I crave if I don't get online.
The main things I've come away with is this: I'm spend too much time online and it stops now. I love blogging and as an outlet it's fine. It's the facebook time and the email time that is ending. I've spent 4 days on the front porch with my drink, my bible and my study book for about 30-45 minutes. The kids are fine on their own. (I do keep the door open to listen for the baby) My world has been calmer and more peaceful. Facebook can generate opinions I don't need to know about, gossip I could care less about, and generally takes up too much of my time. I enjoy meeting new people and keeping up with old friends, but the amount of time I spend online is staggering now that I've been without it. Also, I've realized that I've been neglecting my husband at night. When he gets home I say hello and jump back on the computer. There's no excuse for that. We've had a great week eating outside and just talking, especially at night. Our fall schedule is about to get crazy and it's nice to know that we'll have more time if I just stay off the computer. So there, lesson learned. All that said, I'd really like my power back on now!!!!
1 comment:
I love this!!! I try really hard to check my facebook, email, and whatever else and then power down for the night. I do watch a lot of tv, but one thing R and I discussed really early on was that we weren't going to have a tv in the bedroom. Night time is our time to talk or read together. I like taking time off from technology!
Post a Comment